How does one find a Supported Employment Program (SEP) or a Supported Employment Counselor (SEC)?

Finding a Supported Employment Program (SEP) or a Supported Employment Counselor (SEC) can be quite challenging. The availability of supported employment programs and specially trained supported employment professionals varies depending on one’s city or state so finding one might be difficult. A good place to start looking when making a referral would be the individual’s local Community or County Mental Health Agency. Another suggestion is to check with the State Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, which might employ an SEC. In addition, most states have an Employment Development Department or local Office of Unemployment. Even if these agencies do not have an official SEP or SEC, they usually offer services or programs related to helping individuals with disabilities find a job. If you do experience difficulty in finding a SEP or counselor, we suggest advocating with your administration or appropriate decision making body for the possibility of acquiring these services at your agency. View more information on training to become a supported employment specialist.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • YesNo

Join our #MissionForBetter now

Sign up for our newsletter. We’ll let you know about new resources, education, and more.