I need help understanding health insurance, Medicaid, and Medicare as it relates to treatment of mental illness for me or for my family member.

A good place to start is talking with the team that is providing the care for you or your family member. Frequently there is someone in the clinic, like a peer support specialist or social worker, who can help with understanding the information and navigating the various systems involved. Getting insurance or understanding your current insurance plan may seem complicated–you can find more information here to help you navigate the system successfully.

Some people living with a mental health condition may need to receive disability income from Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Social Security Income (SSI) when they are unable to work. You can learn more here.

The Social Security Administration provides information and an online Disability Planner and Application, or you can call 800-772-1213 for information on the application process. Some organizations offer help with applications and appeals, including:

The National Association of Disability Representatives (NADR): 800-747-6131
National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives (NOSSCR): 800-431-2804
Allsup: 888-841-2126

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • YesNo

Join our #MissionForBetter now

Sign up for our newsletter. We’ll let you know about new resources, education, and more.