How do I find a group home or other type of residential treatment setting?

Some people living with a mental health condition may need to receive disability income from Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Social Security Income (SSI) when they are unable to work. You can learn more at The Social Security Administration provides information and an online Disability Planner and Application (, or you can call 800-772-1213 for information on the application process. Some organizations offer help with applications and appeals, including:

The National Association of Disability Representatives (NADR): 800-747-6131;
National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives (NOSSCR): 800-431-2804;
Allsup: 888-841-2126;

If you have questions or concerns about Medicaid and Medicare eligibility or benefits, contact the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) ( or call 800-MEDICARE (633-4227). Many people have also gotten Medicare and Social Security assistance through the Medicare Rights Center (, which provides their MRC Consumer Hotline at 800-333-4114.
It is also helpful for individuals and families to speak to staff and residents of facilities that they are considering to obtain first hand information about the services provided. Checking with mental health advocacy organizations like the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) or Mental Health America (MHA) can also be extremely helpful.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • YesNo